Sunday, October 29, 2006

Scary movies

When we were young, Friday nights were our favorite times. Several families would meet at our house and the dads would go to the Ice Boat Club meeting...the moms would hang out with us for a while and order pizza.

As I was old enough to babysit, the moms would join the dads after the meeting and that's about the time that we'd get out the blankets, sleeping bags and chairs from the kitchen. We'd make "tents" in the living room using the blankets for the roof and the sleeping bags for the floor. We'd make popcorn, usually for 9, and hope that the parents would stay away long enough that we'd be able to watch these terrific, scary old movies at 11 p.m. on channel 50.

With it being Halloween, AMC is running all the old black-and-white favorites...Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Creature from the Black Lagoon...with Bela Lugosi, Lon Cheney, Boris Karloff. The only thing that seems to be missing from the line- up, so far, is my all-time favorite, Vincent Price. But there are a couple more days to go...

Kind of makes me want to get out the blankets, pop some corn, make my own little tent and watch them all night long...

3 comments:

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

We loved to turn the old TV antenna east and watch the movies on Cleveland's channel 8, even before Ghoulardi!

I'm now collecting many of those old "B" movies on DVDs ;-)

-Sepp said...

I get scared enough just watching the news these days!

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

Calico Jack,

"Ghoulardi was great! I based my entire life around his teachings."

Somehow, it saddened me to read that :-)

Google Analytics Alternative