Friday, October 12, 2007

Quote of the Day

"If by the liberty of the press were understood merely the liberty of discussing the propriety of public measures and political opinions, let us have as much of it as you please: But if it means the liberty of affronting, calumniating and defaming one another, I, for my part, own myself willing to part with my share of it, whenever our legislators shall please so to alter the law and shall chearfully consent to exchange my liberty of abusing others for the privilege of not being abused myself."

-- Benjamin Franklin (An Account of the Supremest Court of
Judicature in Pennsylvania, viz. The Court of the Press, 12
September 1789)

The Patriot Post

1 comment:

Timothy W Higgins said...

Wow Maggie, that one required being read a couple of times, and a side trip to the dictionary, before I could get through it.

I am not sure of my level of agreement, but my difficulty may be best equated to another of Ben's quotes:

"I am in the prime of senility."

Google Analytics Alternative