Saturday, August 09, 2008

Olympic Opening Ceremony was impressive

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the opening ceremonies for the 2008 Olympics!

I was impressed by the graphics, the storyline, the performers and the way it all came together. I loved how the participants, when viewed from on high, presented the most amazing visual spectacles.

I also liked the culmination, with their former gold medalist 'running' along an unfolding electronic red carpet on the screens above the stadium as he carried the Olympic flame to the modern torch.

Being a particular fan of fireworks, I thought the Chinese did a great job of coordinating the fireworks around the city and in conjunction with the events in the stadium.

I've watched opening ceremonies for quite a few of the Olympics, and I have to say that this was the most impressive. Of course, a nation as big as China - with its current government and population - had the advantage of significant 'people power' in what they did. But it was the combination of people and technology and the visual impact of the two together that so amazed me.

If you didn't get to see it, you really missed a terrific show!

2 comments:

Timothy W Higgins said...

Maggie,

I too enjoyed the opening ceremonies, but some of the pagentry is lost on me as one hosting country tries to out ceremony the last.

The fireworks were the best part, but I question how they could be a surprise to you. The Chinese did invent fireworks after all.

Ben said...

I enjoyed it at first; now that we are finding out so much of it was faked I wonder what is next. Maybe it was all actually computer generated.

Google Analytics Alternative