Friday, May 04, 2012

Quote of the Day - spiking the football


A group of were discussing the recent President Barack Obama ad that mentions his decision to go after Osama bin Laden. The ad can be viewed here.

Presidents use their wartime decision-making in re-election campaign ads all the time. It's not unusual. But our discussion revolved around this president's opposition to what his predecessor, Pres. George W. Bush, had done, only to then brag about continuing along the same path.

Some, including Veterans for a Strong America, took exception to the way Pres. Obama bragged:


Which leads us to today's Quote of the Day from a friend who had just viewed both videos. Because of the type of work performed, my friend needs to remain anonymous, but did grant permission to use the quote:

The video is just perfect. And it pisses me off, even more than I was already pissed off seeing live coverage on my television 10 seconds ago watching Diane Sawyer say this is a historic night with the first Presidential address from a combat zone. These disgusting, gutless people who harped endlessly about a "Mission Accomplished" sign, who declared the war lost and wanted to cut and run before the "surge," who called our country torturers for doing what surely played a role in the eventual finding of bin Laden and now want to take credit for it all. At the expense of brave, selfless American heroes. And they do it all for the sake of political posturing. I am exercising exceptional restraint right now. I really want to rip Obama, Reid, Pelosi and lying excuses for American journalists a new one. Sometimes I really wish I could still say/blog whatever I wanted and this is definitely one of those times. It is probably better that I can't though. The only words I can think of that even come close to expressing the way I feel are the ones my husband, a Marine Corps vet, doesn't even use any more.

I think a lot of people feel the same way, which is why the ad is being soundly criticized:

Barack Obama’s “I Shot Bin Laden!” ad might be the worst political move he’s ever made. It tops the list because, unlike his many other foul-ups (50 percent structural youth unemployment, skyrocketing debt, supporting post-birth abortion), this is a rare example of him getting something completely right and then turning it into something horribly wrong. The man is so politically tone deaf he makes Joe Biden look like Machiavelli.

It's one thing to be hypocritical - it's another to do so badly.

No comments:

Google Analytics Alternative