Monday, February 04, 2013

Quotes of the Day - Clarence Thomas


February is Black History Month and in honor of the 28-day event, this blog will feature a QOTD from a Black conservative. Thanks to this idea goes to my friend and fellow blogger, John Hawkins, who did a Townhall.com column with many of the quotes I'll use throughout the month.

Today's conservative is Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, confirmed by Congress in 1991. He is the second African-American to serve in this capacity.

"Good manners will open doors that the best education cannot."

"Perhaps some are confused because they have stereotypes of how blacks should be and I respectfully decline, as I did in my youth, to sacrifice who I am for who they think I should be."

"And I don't think that government has a role in telling people how to live their lives. Maybe a minister does, maybe your belief in God does, maybe there's another set of moral codes, but I don't think government has a role."

"I don't believe in quotas. America was founded on a philosophy of individual rights, not group rights."

"I grew up in a religious environment, and I'm proud of it."

"I'd grown up fearing the lynch mobs of the Ku Klux Klan; as an adult I was starting to wonder if I'd been afraid of the wrong white people all along - where I was being pursued not by bigots in white robes, but by left-wing zealots draped in flowing sanctimony."

"It really bugs me that someone will tell me, after I spent 20 years being educated, how I'm supposed to think."

No comments:

Google Analytics Alternative