Saturday, February 11, 2006

The more things change...

It should come as no surprise that I'm a fan of Ronald Reagan. What some people may not know is that I'm also a fan of most of the positions advocated by Barry Goldwater, especially his Conscience of a Conservative.

Recently, in one of my emails, there was a link to Reagan's 1964 speech in support of Barry Goldwater who was running for president. I clicked on the link and re-read the speech entitled "A Time For Choosing" and I was struck with the similarities to today's world.

Regardless of your political perspective, the picture this speech draws - of the economy, a nation's stuggle with war, the concept of entitlements and trying to save Social Security - is as accurate today as it was then. And despite this being just the words, you can tell that Reagan knew how to deliver a speech.

I hope you'll take the time to read it and reflect, as I did.

http://reagan2020.us/speeches/A_Time_for_Choosing.asp

No comments:

Google Analytics Alternative