* There's been a lot of talk about the growing disparity between the rich and the poor...but I haven't seen anyone analyze the impact an aging population has on this 'disparity.' Older people tend to have more 'wealth' than younger ones - and with an aging population, it seems logical to have such disparity. Is it possible that no one has examined this because it wouldn't fit into a political agenda?
* When I attended college, the emphasis was on getting a job to help pay for my tuition, books, etc. Today, it seems like the emphasis is on getting college loans so you don't have to work while going to school. If this is really the case, are we doing a disservice to our students?
* Congress has passed a $2.9 TRILLION budget that they say does NOT include any tax hikes. But, if you let tax cuts expire, you're still raising taxes - how is that NOT a tax hike? And, by bringing forth the immigration/amnesty bill, they've actually relegated their budget to the back pages...
* The House approved the Guam World War II Loyalty Recognition Act 288-133. The Act not only recognizes the suffering and loyalty of Guam during World War II, but it authorizes reparations for the descendants of those killed by the Japanese. Why are United States citizens, through their tax dollars, paying for people killed by the Japanese????
* Congrats to Kansas, the first state in the nation to adopt a “Google Government” database that will allow citizens to see all state expenditures. “Show Me the Spending” organization, consisting of 19 groups who lobby for such searchable archives in all states, is mostly responsible for pushing for this. Maybe we need a chapter here?
* A recent post on Toledo Talk about an upcoming Young Republican meeting along with Thomas Sowell's column on "The Anger of the Left" has really caused me to think about the future of political discourse. It's easy to understand that emotions can run high when people are passionate about issues...but the intense hatred toward people because they have a different opinion is something that I just don't understand. If you do, please let me know.
* Memorial Day is coming up - a day that we honor those who've died in the service of our country. Will you do anything in tribute to those who've guaranteed your freedoms?