Tuesday, June 04, 2013

BREAKING: Gee out at OSU


Gongwers Ohio is reporting:

Gee On Way Out As Ohio State President Following Publication Of Critical Statements

Days after news reports of derogatory statements that he himself described in an apology as a “misguided attempt at humor,” Ohio State President Gordon Gee has announced his retirement effective July 1.

Mr. Gee announced his plans in a joint release with Robert H. Schottenstein, chairman of the OSU Board of Trustees. Executive Vice President and Provost Joseph A. Alutto will be named interim president. Details on a search for a permanent replacement are pending.

“I recently returned from a vacation with my family, during which time I had a chance to consider the university’s phenomenal achievements and the road that lies ahead for it. Ohio State now has a richness of new opportunities that would be the envy of most universities,” Mr. Gee said.

“During my days away, I also spent some time in self-reflection. And after much deliberation, I have decided it is now time for me to turn over the reins of leadership to allow the seeds that we have planted to grow. It is also time for me to reenergize and refocus myself.”

President Gee served as OSU president for two terms, from 1990-1997 and 2007 to present. His latest stint came to an abrupt end following the outcry over reports that he had disparaged Catholics, the Southeast Conference and others during a meeting of the Athletic Council in December.

No comments:

Google Analytics Alternative