Sunday, December 21, 2008

Happy Hanukkah!

Hanukkah begins tonight, so I'd like to say Happy Hanukkah to my Jewish friends and readers! Also knows as the Festival of Lights, it is observed by the kindling of the lights of a special candelabrum, the Menorah or Hanukiah, one light on each night of the holiday, progressing to eight on the final night.

We'll be having the first of three Christmas parties at our house today. This one is more festive due to the seven children under the age of 12 - and nothing says holidays like the joy on a child's face...and, of course, the food. Last year, the kids decorated graham cracker houses. This year, they'll be decorating gingerbread trees. (We put heavy plastic on the floor so we don't have to worry about a mess - works GREAT!)

I'll probably do limited postings this week as well. I hope you'll all have time to enjoy the time with family and friends!

3 comments:

Jill said...

That is so thoughtful of you, Maggie. I wish you a wonderful Christmas as well.

One note re: the menorah/chanukiah thing - which I'm gathering you know but for your readers (and I didn't learn this until I was 22 and lived in Israel!): the menorah is technically the six branch version used in the temples, the chanukiah is the eight branch version for the holiday. It's funny because I can remember wondering, all the years I went to synagogue as a kid, Why are there only six branches on the menorah?? But that was before I knew/had been taught/learned that there are indeed two different and unique items that have little to do with one another!

This is a little similar to temple and synagogue - temple is supposed to refer to The Temple as in what would be on the Temple Mount and has been destroyed. Synagogues are to refer to our houses of worship that we go to now - and the word synagogue is for them.

That about does it for my knowledge of these things ;) but thank you again for even tipping a hat to them.

Maggie said...

Jill - thank you for the information ... that's what I get for trusting widipedia...LOL!

I hope you enjoy these special days!

Casmi said...

Merry Christmas to you and Sam!

Have you been able to get the boats on the ice yet?

Google Analytics Alternative