Wednesday, November 11, 2009

If you enjoy your freedom, thank a Vet!

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." ~ Thomas Paine


Last night, I slept very soundly. I had no fear of being pulled out of my bed in the middle of the night and carted off to some detention center.

I awoke this morning and turned on the radio - talk radio, that is - and listened to news and opinion that hadn't been filtered through the state. And it came from a station broadcasting publicly without fear of reprisals for doing so.

I drove my husband to the plant where he's working this week. It's a privately-owned company that makes a product of its choosing and employs willing workers - all benefitting from a (relatively) free market.

I crossed a state line and didn't need papers of any kind. I passed through no checkpoints and had no curfew. I was free to travel where I wanted, when I wanted and no one questioned me about where I was going or what I was doing.

On the way home, I considered stopping for carryout - or maybe doing some grocery shopping. I had no fear of shortages, lines or rations.

And now, I'm connected to the entire world through the Internet, posting my opinions on line and I have no fear of being arrested for what I write or say.

I'm an American - with all the freedoms and benefits of liberty promised and established by our nation's founders - but guaranteed by those who have served to protect them: our Veterans.

For all these things, the simple words, 'Thank you!' just don't seem like enough, though they convey the eternal gratitude of so many.

So to all the Veterans, thank you so very much for ensuring my freedom and for safeguarding our nation, our rights and our liberty!

Happy Veterans Day!

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." ~ Ronald Reagan

1 comment:

navyvet said...

A tardy Thank You Maggie :)

Google Analytics Alternative