Sunday, February 03, 2013

Quotes of the Day - Sen. Tim Scott


February is Black History Month and in honor of the 28-day event, this blog will feature a QOTD from a Black conservative. Thanks to this idea goes to my friend and fellow blogger, John Hawkins, who did a Townhall.com column with many of the quotes I'll use throughout the month.

Today's conservative is Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC). He served for 13 years on the Charleston, SC, city council, two years in the South Caroline House of Representatives and two years as a member of the U.S. House of Representatives.

On Dec. 17, 2012, SC Gov. Nikki Haley named him to fill the Senate seat vacated by Jim DeMint. When he took office, he was the only African-American senator, the seventh African-American to have served in the Senate and the first-ever African-American senator from South Carolina.

"I’ve been to dozens of Tea Party rallies. I’ve given at least a half a dozen or more speeches. I have not yet to find the first racist comment or the first person who approaches me from a racist perspective. I will speak very clearly here. Racism is a part of a lot of things in our country. Good people are the predominant fact of our country. I simply don’t get it. There are good people and bad people in all organizations fundamentally; however, when you look at the basis of the Tea Party it has nothing to do with race. It has to do with an economic recovery. It has to do with limiting the role of our government in our lives. It has to do with free markets. How do you fight that? The only way you fight that is to create an emotional distraction called racism. It doesn’t have to be real. It can be rhetoric but it gets the media focusing on something other than the truth of why the Tea Party is resonating so well with the average person."

"Certainly I feel like I'm the tip of the arrow at times because certainly the national media wants to talk about the fact that I'm a black Republican and some people think of that as zany that a black person would be a conservative but to me what is zany is any person black, white, red, brown or yellow not being a conservative."

"I think about my grandfather who's 89 years old, and the last thing he needs is more money out of his pocket."

"If you look at the fact that the best chance we have for a good economy is the private sector. The government cannot create jobs. If the government could create jobs, then Communism would have worked. But didn't work. So what we have to do is allow the private sector and the entrepreneurial spirit to lead us back to a job-filled recovery."

"I'm not looking to be dominating all the media outlets ... to talk about any issue just to be on TV, I'm not your guy. I'm not going to be 'the black Republican'. I'm going to be a Republican who happens to be black who will talk about issues that I'm passionate about that are specific to the agenda that I want to accomplish."

"We do not have a revenue problem in D.C. or this county. We have a prioritization problem. When you create the priorities you fund the priorities of the country and you stop spending money when you get to zero."

"There is nothing special about Tim Scott. I'm an ordinary guy serving an extraordinary God and that makes the difference.

No comments:

Google Analytics Alternative