Monday, August 28, 2006

Freshman Mindset

Beloit College creates a list each year to help us realize what the incoming class of freshmen has as their mindset. It's interesting to realize that this group of freshmen, class of 2010, has grown up with no Soviet Union, one Germany and bar codes on just about everthing.

The Class of 2010 "...grew up with a mouse in one hand and a computer screen as part of their worldview. They learned to surf the internet as they learned to read."

From their website:

"...this year’s entering students form “a generation that has always been ‘connected’ and is used to things happening in ‘real time,’ like live satellite coverage of revolutions and wars, instant messaging and movies on demand. They expect solutions for every problem, from baldness to diseased organs. To the chagrin of teachers and parents, they’ve developed their own generational means of communication.”

The Beloit College Mindset List is used by educators and clergy and by the military and business in their efforts to connect with the new generation. Beloit creates the list to share with its faculty in anticipation of the first-year seminars and orientation.

"It is meant to be thought-provoking and fun, yet accurate. It often provides the base for good opening seminar discussions as faculty and students address the challenges of examining important issues from differing perspectives."

For the complete list, click here. And many thanks to Beloit’s Keefer Professor of the Humanities Tom McBride and Public Affairs Director Ron Nief, who created the list.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

I don't remember gas at $.17, but I do remember hearing my parents complain when it went from $.25 to $.29 - and it was still full serve where they washed the windows, checked the oil, checked the air in the tires and filled them if necessary.

I do remember when some banks were closed Wednesday afternoons and I, too, wondered why. But they also had suckers that they handed out to all the kids - or sometimes candy dishes next to the teller's window.

I also remember when any adult could correct or discipline a child or teenager who was misbehaving and that only meant that you'd get two punishments. One from the adult and a worse one from your parents for having embarassed them by having some other adult have to discipline you.

I remember being taught that I had to stand if there was an adult who needed my seat - even in relatives' homes, a child could sit on the floor much easier than an adult. Nowadays, children seem to think that they entitled to rule the house and that you are somehow abusing them if you ask them to sit - rather than sprawl - on a couch.

I remember when my parents used to get dressed up to travel on a plane and the concept of "being presentable."

I also remember going home at lunch time - not relying on the school to feed me - and how sad I was that my mom worked and all the other moms were in the classroom being 'room mothers.'

I miss the Halloweens where we knew it was okay to eat the apple that came from the lady in the big yellow house on the next street over and we didn't have to x-ray the candy first. I miss the old black and white horror movies (Lon Cheney, Bela Lugosi, Vincent Price) that you watched after the news on Friday nights because they scared you without being gory.

I miss the 'simplier' days and wonder if my parents felt the same way when they were my age.

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

I do remember buying gasoline at 17.9 cents a gallon and full service stations.

I also remember the concept of dresssing up and being presentable.

However, all of those things started changing after WWII and Korea, in the fifty's.

I won't be here for the next fifty's and that is probably a good thing.

Oh, and I remember Walt Disney, before he became a popsicle too ;-)

Hooda Thunkit (Dave Zawodny) said...

do,
”13. You were punctual. Being late intimated laziness. This was not allowed.”

Today, I bust my ass to make sure I’m on time to the theater, concerts and the like, and someone inevitably comes out to say “We’ll get started in a few minutes folks, some people are running a bit late.”

I HATE the accommodation…

By doing that, they’re thumbing their noses at those of us who are always on time.

Maybe we should only patronize the venues/events that are punctual, and let them know that catering to the late/lazy is unacceptable to those of us who aren’t.

(Uh, where did this soapbox come from, and what am I doing on it?)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but Ashley does have a great point. Children do not have the responsibility to raise themselves -- that's our job.

The baby-boomers ruined this country.

Google Analytics Alternative