Thursday, June 26, 2008

And there was great rejoicing!

NEWS ALERT
from The Wall Street Journal

June 26, 2008

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled Americans have a right to own guns for self-defense and hunting, the justices' first definitive pronouncement on gun rights in U.S. history. The court's 5-4 ruling strikes down the District of Columbia's 32-year-old ban on handguns as incompatible with gun rights under the Second Amendment.

The decision goes further than even the Bush administration wanted, but probably leaves most firearms laws intact.

4 comments:

Timothy W Higgins said...

Maggie,

The wringing of hands since this announcement is absolutely amazing! Suddenly following the dictates of the Founding Fathers, rather clearly laid out in the Bill of Rights, will see us no longer safe. There will be gunfire and blood in the streets (like there isn't now).

Now I do not own a gun, I have never fired one in my life, and I have no intention of running out and buying one tomorrow; so my motives could be considered pure. My question is:

What percentage of crimes committed with or in conjunction with guns are done with legally purchased and owned firearms, committed by their owners?

Now ask the same question substituting cars for guns.

I rest my case.

Chuck Greer said...

I am rejoicing, I am I really am...for me, this is tempered by the reality that the vote split upon the political sides of the aisle, and there were four, four justices, who didn't 'see the basis' for such a ruling. This is the climate today, where we are divided along such lines. I am troubled that a certain very liberal senator running for president could do the utmost damage and appoint two justices who would vote against a similar ruling in the future, in an effort to re-write the constitution, not uphold it.

GraphicsGuy said...

A GREAT decision, but my exhilaration is tempered by the Exxon give-away!

Ben said...

4 justices still voted in the minority here. scary stuff.

Google Analytics Alternative