Today is the Point Place Days Parade at noon and it is the official kick-off of a month of activities for the 20011 Point Place Days, sponsored by the Point Place Business Association.
This parade - along Summit Street - is one of the best parades in the entire county - and I've seen and been in a LOT of parades in my career. :) There are prizes for participants in the parade and those will be announced on June 15th at the Friendship Center at 8 p.m.
But it's not just the parade, there are a ton of activities today, listed below:
* 9 am – 3 pm Food, Crafts, Rummage Sale at Friendship Center, 2930 131st
* 9 am – 3 pm Placers Car & Truck Show at Friendship Center, 2930 131st
* 10 am Dress Your Pet Contest, 4731 N. Summit
* 10:30 am Decorate Your Bike Contest, 4731 N. Summit
* 10 am – 2 pm Plant Sale by Garden Club at The Crimping Tree, 5108 N. Summit
* day long Chicken Barbecue at American Legion #110, 5110 N. Summit
* 12 Noon 21st Annual Parade along Summit Street starting at 108th
* 2 – 5 pm Free Bike Inspection & Repair at CrossPoint Church, 4212 Onondaga
Tomorrow is the Walleye Tournament at Spot & Spam’s on Edgewater Drive from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Other events include:
* Tue June 7 6:30 pm Pie and Cake Contest Friendship Center 2930 131st
* Thu June 9 All day Community Garage/Yard Sale Point/Shoreland
* Thu June 9 6-8 pm Placers Cruise-In Toledo Speedway
* Fri June 10 All day Community Garage/Yard Sale Point/Shoreland
* Fri June 10 4-8 pm Chicken & Ribs BBQ Cullen Park Kelly’s Catering
* Fri June 10 6-8 pm Canoe Race Cullen Park Alternative Plumbing
* Sat June 11 8-11 am Pancake Breakfast Friendship Center 2930 131st
* Sat June 11 All day Community Garage/Yard Sale Point/Shoreland
* Sat June 11 10 am Flag Raising Ceremony Point Place Lighthouse
* Sat June 11 10:15 am Community Clean-up Day Lighthouse
* Sat June 11 12 pm – 4 pm Kids’ Day by Kroger Kroger 4633 Suder
* Sun June 12 11 am Outdoor Service at Lighthouse Lighthouse CrossPoint Church
* Mon June 13 7 pm Celebration of Flag Day Friendship Center 2930 131st
* Tue June 14 7 pm Outdoor Concert Point Place Library 2727 117th
* Sat June 18 9 am Mile Walk for Mustard Seed Cullen Park
* Sat June 18 9 pm Star-Gazin’ Lantern Walkin’ Cullen Park
* Sat June 25 2:00 pm-midnight SummerFest Shoreland Park WTFD
* Sat June 25 10 pm Fireworks by WTFD Fred C. Young Bridge Summit St.
Some of my favorites from the above include the pancake breakfast, the flag raising at the lighthouse, the outdoor concert at the Library, the star-gazin' lantern walk and the Flag Day celebration.
Of course, I believe the best fireworks display of all is the one sponsored by the WTFD on June 25th. It's my favorite for two reasons: 1) it's always the weekend before the Fourth of July so you don't have to miss any of the regular fireworks events sponsored by the various municipalities and more fireworks is always a good thing; and 2) it's paid for by donors from the area - no tax dollars.
Thursdays, the Placers Car Club displays their antique and collectible vehicles during their Cruise-In at the Toledo Speedway from 6-8 p.m. I believe they do this throughout the summer and not just during Point Place Days.
Additionally, I saw a flyer last night for stagecoach rides Thursdays through Saturdays in the evening beginning at the flag shop on Summit Street. They'll be giving a tour of historical places and events in the Point, though I did not get the cost. I'm sure that if you call Flag Sales & Repair at 419-726-9571, they will be able to give you more information.
There are more events, including a lot for children at the Library, so for a complete list, you can go here.
Hope to see you in The Point!