Monday, April 13, 2009

Quote of the Day

While I clean up after our Easter activities, I wanted to share this with you.

"Would it not be better to simplify the system of taxation rather than to spread it over such a variety of subjects and pass through so many new hands." ~ Thomas Jefferson

I am continually amazed at how wise our Founding Fathers were. They gave us a form of government that has lasted successfully for centuries and gave us both the representation and checks and balances necessary to that success. While I (and many others) believe our government today is a far cry from what they intended, it's still the best one around.

I also wonder if we have these types of individuals in our midst today. Who do you know that you think would be comparable to our founders?

1 comment:

Timothy W Higgins said...

Maggie,

As you know, there are some other gems of wisdom worth sharing, so I thought I would do so with your readers:

The income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf has. - Will Rogers

The avoidance of taxes is the only intellectual pursuit that carries any reward. - John Maynard Keynes

Unquestionably, there is progress. The average American now pays out twice as much in taxes as he formerly got in wages. - H. L. Mencken

Google Analytics Alternative