Friday, August 01, 2008

Kudos to Rep. John Mica (R., Fla.)

The U.S. House of Representatives, with nothing better to do, is considering banning cell phones on planes. The House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee approved a bill that would make the current Federal Aviation Administration and Federal Communication Commission ban on cell phone use during flight permanent.

Why?

Because members of the House are 'offended' by their usage - with one member complaining that his wife had to listen to another women's cell phone discussion of her sex life.

Of course, the excuse given to the public will be 'safety' as someone saw a person take a picture of the plane with a cell phone.

All this when European Union is considering allowing cell phone usage during flight.

The other concern is that airlines might make more money by charging people extra to sit in a no-cell-phone section.

But then along comes Rep. John Mica with a huge dose of common sense - thankfully! He pointed out that there are many annoyances on planes, but we don't ban them. I don't like screaming babies, dirty diapers, kids who kick the back of your seat, people who have their iPods so loud I can hear it two seats away, individuals with bad breath, and snoring ... but I don't see Congress considering bans on those items.

Mica hits the nail on the head - and his colleagues need to pay attention:

"You are trying to legislate courtesy, folks, and that just doesn't work," he said.

5 comments:

Tami N. said...

Here are some more “words of wisdom” from the sponsors of this bill:

"Last year was one of the worst on record for flight cancellations, delays and lost luggage. Now is not the time to consider making the airline passenger-experience any worse, and using cell phones in-flight would do just that," said Costello. "Polls show that the American public is strongly opposed to allowing cell phone use in-flight. They don’t just oppose the idea, they hate it, and the HANG UP Act will make sure it does not happen."

Yes, and I hate the fact that Dana is cutting 100 jobs and that my neighbors were foreclosed on their home. Congressman DeFazio…there are many more important things for you to be worrying about. If the travelers feel they are being inconvenienced they should complain to the airline. If their complaints are not taken care of in a satisfactory manner then they should not use that airline anymore.

This is a customer service issue not a congressional issue. Let the free market handle this problem!

Ben said...

I'd much rather see kids under the age of 3 not allowed to fly.

Carol said...

Hmmm - this gives me an idea! I think I shall write my legislators and ask them to ban the following from airplanes:

Whining/unruly children
Women showered in perfume
Men showered in after shave
Loud golfing buddies
Play Station units with the sound up
People that cough and hack in a closed space
Beer breath
Onion/garlic breath
Dirty people

Give me time and I'll think of some more.

But I would really like my legislators to address the following issues:

National unemployment rates
Out sourcing of goods and services
Incredibly high oil prices
Incredibly high energy prices
Incredibly high taxes
Foreclosures
Quality healthcare
Crime (not necessarily terrorist related)
Drugs
Human trafficking
And the list goes on and on ...

If I am inconvenienced on a plane you can bet I let the attendant know, the pilot know, the president of the company, etc. I am capable of telling the person next to me that I don't need to hear about her sex life - and I can even do it nicely. (Don't choke.)

You can't legislate courtesy - I agree. And you certainly cannot legislate common sense.

Teichholtz said...

Did you ever sit on a public transportation vehicle while someone has an inane conversation on their cell phone which goes on and on? Or talks loudly in a foreign language on their phone right next to you while you are on a bus?
I have, and every time I think how lucky we are that we don't have to sit next to this for 6 hours on a flight.

Maggie said...

yes, teichholtz, I have...I don't like it. Nor do I like kids who kick the back of the seat, people who wear too much perfume, people who live on garlic and smell like it, and a host of other things.

But just because I don't like something doesn't mean government should create a law to make it illegal.

Rep. Mica is correct - you cannot legislate courtesy!

Google Analytics Alternative