Thursday, July 22, 2010

Quotes of the Day

I'm heading out to Las Vegas today for Americans for Prosperity's annual RightOnLine Conference. I'll be blogging about the break-out sessions and will cover all the speakers, including:

* Judge Andrew Napolitano
* Herman Cain, Radio Host and Fox News Contributor
* John Fund, The Wall Street Journal
* Erick Erickson, RedState.com
* Ed Morrissey, HotAir.com
* Jim Pinkerton, Fox News Contributor
* Representative Sharron Angle, Candidate for U.S. Senate (NV)

I'm also looking forward to catching up with Samsphere and other blogging friends:

* Warner Todd Huston, Publius Forum
* John McJunkin, fellow radio guy, morning show producer/sidekick at Newstalk 550 KFYI
* Skip Murphy, GraniteGrok
* Fred Dooley, Real Debate Wisconsin
* Steve Eggleston, No Runny Eggs
* Emily Zanotti, American Princess
* Trent Seibert, Texas Watchdog
* Stephen Kruiser
* Eric Ericksen, RedState
* Bob Weeks, Voice for Liberty in Wichita

and a host of others.

So as I prepare for a 4-1/2 hour flight, here are a few quotes to start your day:

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread." ~ Thomas Jefferson

From Richard Armey, The Freedom Revolution:

"The people themselves, not their government, should be trusted with spending their own money and making their own decisions."

"[T]he tax code has been piling up, year after year, a symbol of everything gone wrong in America, of arrogant rulers and lost freedom, just waiting for us to pick the whole thing up and heave it away. It has to happen. Free people can put up with such laws only for so long."

"Government is saying to the average citizen every January 1: 'For the next five months you’ll be working for us, for goals we shall determine. Is that clear? After May 5 you may look after your own needs and ambitions, but report back to us next January. Now move along.' ... If nearly half of what you make is spent by someone else, that means that half your work time is spent working for someone else. Call me a radical, but I think that comes dangerously close to being a form of indentured servitude."

5 comments:

Barb said...

Have a great trip maggie! You know, I don't consider myself a conservative whatsoever, but I agree with everything you say and post. I think our government officials have lost their ever-loving minds. Keep fighting the good fight!

Maggie said...

Thanks Barb...

and I can't help but smile at the 'not a conservative but agree with everything you say.'

:)

It reminds me of a conversation I had once with a union leader. I was the only Republican on a board and union leader (UL) was the chairman. We often agreed with each other, against the rest of the board.

One day, UL says to me, "you know, Maggie, we really agree on a whole lot of issues - maybe you're really a Democrat."

My response was, "You know, UL, you and I agree and the rest of the Democrats on this board don't. Maybe YOU are really a Republican."

LOL

skeeter1107 said...

I left some money at New York, New York. Is it possible you could get it back while your there? If you do, just keep it.

Enjoy your trip. I look forward to your coverage.

skeeter1107 said...

On a more serious note.

There is a schism in the behavior and beliefs of Democratic voters at the local level with Democratic leadership at the national level.

If somehow someway you could get local Democratic voters to ignore the party label and vote for people that best represent their interests and beliefs, they may find themselves voting more often for the Conservative or Republican candidate.

James said...

Have a good trip Maggie. Is the Journolist scandal going to be addressed? I hope so!

Google Analytics Alternative