Ed Morrissey - HotAir.com
* our nation is based upon property rights...because of an oppressive tax system.
* tax code today undermines our prosperity and individual liberty.
* we don't need a health care overhaul, we need a tax code overhaul.
* last year, Americans spent $250 billion on tax preparation ... 60% need professional help with their returns.
* why is it so burdensome? examples from Newsweek: Alaska gets deductions for boats, non-citizens don't have to report gambling income, Humanity and Pets Partnered through the Years Act - with tax incentives for pet adoption.... (introduced by Republicans!!!!)
* philosophical issue with deductions - rewards special interests...conducts social engineering, push us into behaviors politicians like and removes our freedom to act as we wish...no wonder Congress likes them.
* the more deductions that get added, the more people think it benefits them...they're just ways to buy taxpayers to the side of the politicians.
* while pols say they need to overhaul the tax code, they never really do, because they like the power and influence ...
* existing gives Congress far too much power for a legislature in a free society.
* we need tax reform - when people talk about a 'more fair' tax code we need to tell them we don't need more incentives that limit our freedom.